• 63 


As well as its headquarters, the Museum also has several local Branches, created in the various villages in the valley by restoring buildings of ethnographic and cultural interest: the Venetian-type Sawmill in Penia and the Mill in Pera.

There are also another two new branches, recently created with the intent of gaining deeper knowledge of single subjects and didactically enhancing the value of particularly interesting ethnographic collections: the Cheese-making and the Silviculture in San Giovanni di Fassa - Sèn Jan and the Marksmen's Lodge in Campitello.

On the occasion of the first hundred years since the outbreak of the First World War, an exhibition-event was set up at the Navalge Theatre in Moena and is entitled 1914-1918 “La Gran Vera”. The Great War: Galicia, the Dolomites, the result of a vast network of collaboration between cultural and voluntary authorities, institutions and associations.

Istituto Culturale Ladino “Majon di Fascegn” Museo Ladin de Fascia

The sawmill


str. de Ciamp Trujan
Penia (Canazei)

Free admission

Opening hours
from 10 June to 10 September
from Monday to Saturday
10 am to 12 pm / 3 pm to 7 pm

Other periods
by booking
tel. +39.0462.760182 
(the facility is inaccessible in the winter months)

Guided tours available with prior booking only


the sawmill

The Sia of Penia is the last Venetian-type hydraulic sawmill in existence in the Fassa Valley. It has been documented since the 16th century and is currently located inside the building constructed in 1922 by the carpenter Giochelon di Predazzo.

The restoration work, conducted between 1985 and 1988 by Giuseppe Longo from Tesero, led to the complete operational recovery of the building: today, as well as allowing guided tours to the mechanisms functioning for demonstration purposes, the sawmill can still be used to satisfy the needs of the people of the district of Penia.

The mill


str. Jumela - Pera
38036 Sèn Jan di Fassa (TN)

Free admission

Opening hours
from 10 June to 10 September
from Monday to Saturday
10 am to 12 pm / 3 pm to 7 pm

Other periods
by booking
tel: +39.0462.764089 - 760182 

Guided tours available with prior booking only

the mill

L molin de Pèzol has belonged to the Rizzi (Salin) family from Pera since 1800 and is a milling complex that still functions today, consisting of two cereal millstones and a husking machine for barley (pestin), driven by three large hydraulic paddle wheels.

The mortars (a primitive vertically moving barley husking system), the winnow and the remaining miller's equipment are also located here. The molin de Pèzol was renovated by the artisan Giuseppe Longo from Tesero and inaugurated in 1983.

It was the first local branch of the Ladin Museum. 

The dairy


Caseificio Sociale Val di Fassa Mèlga de Fascia
str. Dolomites 233
38036 Sèn Jan di Fassa

Free admission

Opening hours
monday - saturday
8.30-12.00 / 15.30-19.00

Guided Tours
Guided tours available with prior booking only (min. 15 pax)

tel + 39.0462.760182

More Info

the dairy

Located at the headquarters of the Caseificio Sociale Val di Fassa (Fassa Valley Social Cheese Factory) the new branch is dedicated to the age-old art of breeding and cheese-making, an activity that has characterized the economic system of the Fassa Community for centuries.

The processing of milk, butter and cheese and the community management of grazing lands and Alpine pastures over the centuries can be recalled thanks to objects, texts and photographs resulting from thirty years of ethnographic collection work carried out by the Ladin Cultural Institute, leading us to modernity and to the present-day production at the Cheese Factory, all of which can be viewed in the large production halls.

You will have the opportunity to taste the numerous products available at the shop.

La Silvicoltura


Strada Ruf de Ruacia
località Meida
38036 Sèn Jan di Fassa (TN) 
(in front of Hotel Valacia) 

Free admission

Opening hours
by booking

Guided tours and educational activities with prior booking only
Educational Services of the Ladin Museum


tel. +39.0462.760182


The new “L Segat” local Branch was designed as a museum facility with a marked educational vocation, complementary to the “La Sia” Branch in Penia. Mainly dedicated to the comparison between traditional water-driven sawmills and the modern timber-working techniques, the space also provides you an overview of all the productive sectors linked to silviculture.

Beginning with the importance of exploitation of the forest for the Fassa Community over the centuries, you can get to know the main types of local wood and also become acquainted with three of the professions linked to the primary processing of timber: the lumberjack, the sawyer and the carpenter.

Each of the various sectors is illustrated in the texts, historical images, ethnographic objects and films collected over the years by the Ladin Cultural Institute, among which there is the impressive “Bepo e Jan Cherlo” collection in Moena, which comes from a family of carpenters for four generations.

The Great War


"La Gran Vera"
Theatre Navalge, Moena (TN)

Opening hours

7-8 December

from 26 December to 6 January
every day 10am-12.30pm / 3.30pm-7pm

from 7 January to 13 April
from Tuesday to Sunday 3pm-7pm

25-26 April / 1-2-3 May / 2 June

Full price € 5,00
Reduced price € 3,00
Groups (min. 15 persone) € 3,00

Guided tours 
min. 15 people, booking is required, either at the exhibition or by phone:+39 346 2415776
in italian or ladin language € 30,00
in English or German
 € 40,00

Teaching activity based on the Great War organized by the Ladin Museum’s Educational Services

tel. +39 0462 760182
Scarica la brochure dei percorsi della Didattica della Grande Guerra 


1914-1918 "la gran vera" 

For the Centennial of the First World War, the Municipality of Moena, the Ladin Cultural Institute and the “Sul Fronte dei Ricordi” Cultural Association, with the sponsorship of the Comun General de Fascia, have organized a themed exhibition regarding the “Great War", to illustrate the events that took place during the war, from the Austrian-Russian front (Galicia-Bukovina-Volhynia) to the war high up in the mountains, in the Fassa and Fiemme Dolomites, to commemorate not only the historical events but also their impact on the local populations.The subject of the exhibition is primarily the “Simonetti - Caimi” collection, with over 20 period uniforms, relics, artefacts, photographic albums, etc., making a total of almost one thousand pieces, made available by the Ladin de Fascia Museum and enriched by other artefacts from private collections.

The exhibition is organised into four permanent sections (Galicia 1914, The Trenches, Dolomites 1915 and War on War!), located in the large spaces of the Navalge Theatre in Moena, where you will find truly spectacular dioramas, themed showcases, educational panels, period photos and blow-ups, in an exhibition space of approx. 500 m2. Furthermore, every year, the exhibition hosts a temporary section dedicated to gaining a deeper knowledge of a specific subject: “Art and Standschützen, 1916: Italians Charge!” and for summer 2017 Richard Lowy, a Jew in Moena.

The inventors and organizers of the exhibition are Michele Simonetti Federspiel and Mauro Caimi, both honorary curators of the Ladin Museum, while the set-ups were created thanks to the indispensable operational support of the volunteers from the “Sul Fronte dei Ricordi" Association, which also organizes accompanied itineraries to the locations on the front in the Costabella, Pellegrino and Bocche area.

The Marksmen's lodge


The Marksmen's Lodge
str. Pent de Sera
Campitello di Fassa (TN)

Free Admission

Opening hours
by booking

Guided tours
available with prior booking only

Comune di Campitello
tel: +39.0462.750330

Museo Ladino di Fassa

tel.+ 39.0462.760182

The Marksmen’s Lodge

In all the major villages and in every town in the old Tyrol, there was once a place where men, who were skilled in the use of firearms, practiced shooting: a wooden or brick structure equipped with a wide opening from which it was possible to see the targets, placed at various distances.

The spirit of the ancient voluntary militias appointed to defend the Tyrolean homeland, legitimated by the Emperor in 1511, was transferred to the Standschützen (rifle guilds) free associations, called Scìzeres in Ladin and “Bersaglieri immatricolati” in Italian.

The imperial-royal municipal markmen’s lodge is the unique evidence of centuries history in the valley that still remains today: established in 1905 remained operational until the Great War broke out.


No scheduled events.



To stay in contact with the Institute and the Museum and to receive our updates, register for our new newsletter service.

Cookies | Web Policy | Impressum | Sitemap | P.IVA 00379240229